Tuesday 10 March 2009

What Are Your Carrying?

Two monks were walking on a long journey. They arrived at a river and standing by the river was a beautiful young woman.

She asked the monks, "Could you please help me across the river? The current is too strong and I'm afraid I'll be swept away. I cannot swim."

The monks looked at each other. They had taken a vow to never touch a woman.

The elder monk, without saying a word, picked up the young woman and carried her across the river. The young monk was incensed. How could the elder monk do that? Had he forgotten their vow?

When they reached the other side of the river, the elder monk put down the young woman. She thanked him and they went their separate ways.

The monks continued their journey in silence. The young monk waited for an explanation from the elder monk, but the elder monk didn't say a word.

An hour passed by.

Two hours passed by.

Four hours passed by. The young monk couldn't stand it anymore. He almost screamed at the elder monk, "What were you thinking when you carried that woman across the river? Have you forgotten our vows? Are you out of your mind?"

The elder monk said calmly, "Oh, are you still carrying her? I put her down four hours ago."

What burden are you carrying that you should have put down long ago?

What guilt are you carrying? What "should-haves" or "should-have-nots" are you carrying? What regrets? How many what-ifs have been burdening you?

All those are burdens that will get in the way of getting a better life. It's like driving with the hand brake on.

Believe me, I know about carrying a burden. I carried one for years. The day I let go, I felt like a free person.

I also know that it might not be easy for you to let go of that burden. So every day, ask yourself how you can let go and be free of it. The answer will come to you sooner than you expect.